What happens to geomembranes when the temperature goes below -20C?
At that point, frost forms on the materials and it becomes difficult to weld them together perfectly.
Can geomembranes be properly welded together when temperatures are colder than -20C?
YES, A&A has developed what we call “preheat fusion modules” to isolate the liner seams and keep temperatures above the level at which frost forms.
Are some types of geomembranes more suitable for cold weather installation than others?
Yes, textured geomembranes have been well proven and are more suitable for sub-zero temperatures than smooth geomembranes.
What are the advantages of textured liners vs. smooth or prefabricated liners?
- The number one priority on any job is safety. Slip and fall accidents are the leading cause of injury.
- Smooth liners have been proven to be very slippery and unsafe when dusty or wet, especially in sub-zero temperatures.
- Textured liners provide for a safer surface across its entire width, even in freezing conditions. This allows the installation teams to safely and efficiently complete the projects. Textured liners resist sloughing of backfill on slopes, and are widely used for cold weather installations.
#2 Ease of Installation:
- Anyone who has worked in the Arctic knows what the high winds and cold are about.
- Smooth Liners: Large prefabricated PVC and Polypropylene panels are slippery, susceptible to wind and, can crack in severe cold when being bent and unfolded.
- Textured liners lay flat off the roll with no bending or unfolding. Less manpower is required to safely place and fuse panels. Textured liners have excellent resistance to cold cracking and can be cut to any shape.
Do textured liners cost more?
NO! Actually, textured liners are more economical and provide the higher strength and additional durability required for Northern designs.
Are textured geomembranes and geotextiles available in the North?
YES! A&A Technical Services is an authorized, factory-direct independent distributor, and carries an inventory of textured geomembrane liners and geotextiles specially imported for your needs. Because there is no middleman, we can offer our materials at excellent savings.
Why use Geosynthetics?
Geosynthetics protect the environment and separate the contents of everything from land fills and reservoirs to fuel tank farms from the sensitive Northern soil and water.